Burnout among students and teachers

As the school year comes to a close, burnout begins to affect both students and teachers.

Aleiya Hardy , Reporter

What a year it’s been. It’s safe to say that this journey has been a roller-coaster ride and now we’ve entered the final stretch. Unfortunately, this is also usually one of the hardest times of the year where a phenomenon known as burnout takes place. 

Burnout, according to Helpguide.org, is “a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion that causes excessive and prolonged stress. It occurs when you feel overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to meet constant demands.” Completing work becomes harder than usual. Procrastination is more tempting and many feel mentally swamped. 

It’s important to note that burnout doesn’t happen out of nowhere. It builds up over a period of time. Which is why it occurs so much with students. When you are constantly given work, tests, projects, etc., and then end-of-the-year finals, state tests, and AP tests, you’re bound to become complacent. 

Many students here at Enochs can relate in some way. “I am very much burnt out right now, and I don’t really think I’m coping.” Krishnil Shandil, a junior stated. “I’m trying to do my work but it’s just really hard.” And although not everyone is dealing with burnout directly, one thing still stands: almost all students are feeling some of the symptoms. “I am not burned out, but I am feeling very overwhelmed with testing,” concurred junior student Gianna Henman.

Taking a mental day off from school is an option. But, after speaking to Emma Nelson, a junior, it may not be too helpful. She made it clear that taking a mental day off could do more damage than good. When you come back to school you now have to catch up on work you missed and are left feeling more stressed with double the work.  

This common theme of burnout and exhaustion is becoming present in teachers as well. Though it may not be seen in the same ways as students, the feelings of stress are there. “Some days when my students aren’t motivated to do their work and don’t try to meet important deadlines, I feel burnout because it feels that I must work extra hard to get them to work” Enochs math teacher Ms. Aljanabi explained. It is also mandatory for teachers to meet certain state requirements by the end of the school year, and alongside other obligations they have, it is definitely possible for burnout to affect them. 

There are some ways to cope with burnout according to SAS counselor Jessica Andrade. “…Self care is huge. Self care looks a little bit different for everybody. Sometimes self care can be going on a walk. Stepping away for a few minutes from your desk– from whatever work you’re doing. Listening to music, sometimes going to the store and just walking around, hanging out with family members..but definitely self care is huge….” Knowing information like this could be vital to those really struggling and needing some type of support. 

In the end, there is no definite answer to completely fix this draining phenomenon, but acknowledging that it happens and coming together to find a solution to combat it is a good step in the right direction. So, as we reach the last day of the school year, let’s look out for each other and try to keep pushing until the very end.