Categories:

Quiet On Set, Please!

A collaboration between Enochs’ FBA and Johansen’s VPN
Quiet On Set, Please!

On Thursday August 29th, 2024, Enochs’ Forensic Biotechnology Academy (FBA) program teamed up with the Johansen Viking Production Network (VPN) to produce an array of lab safety videos. 

These videos will be able to be shared district-wide and be viewed by kids in all science classes. 

The Enochs FBA, led by the lovely Mrs. Heather Friedberg and Mrs. Jennifer McKinney, has been a beloved pathway of Enochs educating our science community in the use of biotechnology through different sects of science. Johansen’s VPN is led by Mr. Nick Garcia who had only great things said about him by students and coworkers. 

Enochs provided the set, a.k.a L227, Mrs. Friedberg’s classroom. They also provided the actors, which were a handful of top FBA students dedicated to the program. Mr. Garcia and three top VPN students filmed and edited the production during the 1st-3rd period on the 29th of August. As students chipped away at a project for Mrs. Friedberg’s senior class, filming progressed throughout the mid morning. 

“Quiet on set, please!” videographer Breyden Horstman ‘25 exclaimed right before shooting another take for their second scene of the day. 

As a part of Modesto City Schools’ (MCS) Career and Technical Education program (CTE), both schools have helped to put their skills to use and give back to the community. The CTE program is aimed to, “bridge the academic, employability and technical skills that prepare our students for leadership roles in the working world,” states the CTE mission statement. Some of the CTE programs offered by Modesto City Schools include: agriculture and natural resources, arts, media, and entertainment, and health science. 

I was able to sit down with MCS’ very own CTE coordinator, Sharyl Limbaugh, and exchange a few words. 

Sharyl informed me that after three years in this position, “I work at the district office and help with all the CTE programs at the Jr. Highs and High schools” (Limbaugh). 

After getting a few words from the busy actors and director on set, there was a common theme of enjoyment amongst all. Additionally, Sienna Tran ‘25, Eric Myles ‘25, and Liliyanna Arauza ‘25 collectively agreed that they also needed this as an event requirement for their grades. Director Liliyanna Arauza ‘25 stated, “I took this role for points and fun”. 

Actor Taylor Hartung ‘25 was asked about her favorite scene to film. 

Hartung told reporters, “My favorite scene to film so far was Brooke catching her hair on fire” (Hartung). Not to worry, Brooke Sevier ‘25 or any others were not harmed in the process of filming. 

As a follow up question, I asked Hartung how the experience was working with Johansen’s VPN. She told me, “It’s been great, they’re super patient and take their time making sure every shot is perfect”. 

When FBA teacher Mrs. Friedberg was questioned on why she partnered with Johansen’s VPN crew, she replied with, “Mr. Garcia and I have collaborated on events in the past”. 

Preparing for lab safety and seeing other videos, Friedberg thought, ‘we can do that’. So “I reached out to Mr. Garcia to make it happen”. Although I was unable to speak to Mr. Garcia myself, the whole production seemed to go well and was successful. 

Between shots, I spoke with Johansen’s videographer, Breyden Hortsman ‘25, to ask what the goal for today was and he said, “the goal is to film ten scenes of lab safety do’s and ten lab safety don’ts in a lab setting”. 

After previously working with Enochs High School, Horstman praised the community of Enochs by stating, “I’ve been here three times now and it has been very fun working with students and teachers to help create the PBS videos as well”. The PBS videos watched by the students of Enochs during the first week were filmed with help by the amazing students in Johansen’s VPN team. 

Once all the filming is done, the work gets sent to Johansen’s editor, Armando Raygoza ‘25. Raygoza got into editing from watching a friend in Mr. Garcia’s class, and was then asked to join the class halfway through the 2023-2024 school year. She has been with the VPN team since. 

By learning how to navigate the editing software Adobe on Youtube, Raygoza decided to pursue a future in editing and told me, “It wasn’t my first option, but my parents told me to go for it if I enjoy it and that they’d even buy me a camera to help me out” (Raygoza). 

Praising his teacher, Armando said, “Mr. Garcia is one of my favorite teachers I’ve had. Whenever I’m stressed he can give me parental advice for school and other issues”.

As productions in the classroom wrapped up, Enochs’ Journalism team would like to promote both the FBA and VPN instagram’s to check out more that both groups do. Show them some love and follow them along to see their extracurricular academic endeavors!

@ehs_forensic_biotec_academy

@johansenvpn