Enochs smashes Beyer at annual Sylvan Bowl

Students rejoice at opportunity to dance under Friday Night Lights

Jason Woods, General Editor

It’s that time of year.

Friday night lights are here and the students are ready.

This first game is easily one of the most anticipated for students, players, and parents because it is the Sylvan Bowl, an annual tradition in which Enochs and Beyer go head-to-head in a football game for a highly sought-after trophy. This trophy displays the dominance that each school holds over the other.

Students had some excellent commentary pregame. An attending senior, Sophie Zehner, has been to a previous Sylvan Bowl and is attending the game to support her school and to hang out with friends. An attending freshman, Andrey Donasco, had never been to the Sylvan Bowl before but knows how fun the games can get from his older siblings. Andrey expected Enochs to win.

A freshman and a junior football player had some interesting takes on the game. Noah Martinez-Vera, a freshman football player, had high expectations for this first game. He had thought that the team had, “good chemistry” and that Beyer was no match for Enochs. Kenshin Covero, a junior varsity football player, had never played at the Sylvan Bowl before and thinks that Enochs has, “Better players, more discipline, better coaches, better overall execution and more aggression.”. He anticipated the win and said, “They’re just not that tuff”.

The Enochs entourage was packed like gold gilded sardines. As always, it was filled with energetic, cheerful students, ready to take on the “Red Sea” and their lackluster cheering and a minuscule amount of spirit. Each touchdown unlocked an eruption out of the Enochs crowd. An overwhelming amount of cheers and gold-cladded students followed chants, inspiring the Enochs players and egging on Beyer.

A few unanimous gripes for all attending the game were the parking situation and the concession lines. Searching for a spot to park was impossible. Many students were found parking in the residential area around the stadium, risking getting towed by angry residents. Some students had to walk for over ten minutes to get to their cars, only to have to wait in a long line of traffic. The concession lines were atrocious. Lines upwards of thirty kids, limited materials, and angsty teenagers made the concession experience awful to all. There were a few instances of students leaving the game and walking to a nearby store just to get drinks because the concession stand ran out of water.

All in all, the game was full of mixed feelings, but most enjoyed a big part of the game–hanging out with friends and supporting the school.