College is not the only option

The Eagle Eye’s very own activities editor Nicole Sheaffer shares ways to find the future path that best fits you and your needs

College is not the only option

Nicole Sheaffer, Activities Editor

Do you know what you want to do with your life? 

80% of you probably said no, or are not totally sure. If you don’t know what your plans are, really evaluate if your circumstances can allow you to go to college. You may not even want to go to college, but the economic and family pressure is making you feel as though you don’t have any other option. 

I am here to tell you that you are not stuck, and you don’t have to make a decision based on what others opinions entail. College is not your only option once you walk that stage in May. 

Not only can a college degree help you get a better job, but it’s also a minimum requirement for many career paths.” This is what almost every adult will tell you, but it’s deeper than that. Look at their schedule, what car they drive, how much they make, and how long it has taken them to pay off their student loans and debt. Evaluate whether or not you want to be taking their advice or not.

I am not saying college isn’t beneficial. If you need a college degree for what you want to do, make a plan to pay off that debt and make that dream come true.

However, if you want to be a hairstylist, car salesman, own a business, or even travel for a living there are different pathways that don’t require traditional college that will still allow you to have a promising and comfortable future. 

There are jobs that won’t put you in debt, or are better options for your goals and dreams. Never settle for something that will only make other people happy or your parents content, because at the end of the day it is your life that you are living, and you’re the one that is going to have to wake up every day and go to that job, have that schedule, and receive that salary.

Ask yourself what a day in your dream life would look like, and make a timeline to see how you would go about achieving it. Does it involve college, trade school, apprenticeship? Ask questions, ask around and get different opinions. 

Some of the richest people in the world today didn’t go to college and are living the happiest life. Same goes for people who did go to college, but you have to do what’s best for you and your future. Don’t let anyone or anything get in the way of that. 

If you want to work your way up the ladder at your dream job, or start a business, learn from successful people and do it! If you want to join the military, travel and review hotels, or even become a flight attendant, do it! Culinary school, working for Disney, or welding are also good options.

There are so many possibilities, you just have to ask yourself what you would be most happy doing every day. Even then, you aren’t stuck. You are never stuck. You have a lifetime to find what you’re good at or enjoy. Don’t stress too much and enjoy finding your path. I hope this took a little weight off your shoulders about next steps after high school, because life is often taken too seriously. Enjoy it.