Attack Of The Computers

Attack Of The Computers

More and more students are going to digital assignments instead of the “old” paper ones

Over the years schools have gotten with the times and switched over to computers. The switch from papers to computers was expedited due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Many districts made the switch during the pandemic due to students being stuck at home. Even though COVID-19 rushed the process of changing to computers the outcome was unavoidable.The downfall of papers is something that was bound to happen since it was pretty wasteful and not very durable. Many students have different opinions on computers some oppose it, and some are for it. With the new era of computers in education; one can only wonder why the drastic change?

Paper was the standard for many years due to how easy it was to print on and how students can easily throw it away. The shift from papers to computers has been happening for a while since around the early 2000s. For some schools the implementation of computers started with a computer lap. After a computer lab some schools would switch by giving teachers a classroom set of computers. The implementation of technology was more subtle however when Covid-19 hit schools the change was more rapid. When people were stuck indoors people were pushed to use computers when learning due to not being able to meet with their teachers in person. According to nces.ed.gov in the 2019-2020 school year the percentage of schools that had computers for each student was 45%.  With such a high number of students having access to school computers; it is undeniable that computers make a big impact on today’s students.

Some students miss paper while other students are celebrating the change to computers. Some students who miss paper believe that technology is not the answer to everything and we should be focused on limiting screen time for students. However with people missing paper there are people who are loving the change to computers since it makes it easier to turn in assignments and make it easier to check your grade. With computers it is easier for students to get help from google and makes it easier to find information, and with the internet students can find textbooks online. Implementation of computers in schools also teaches students to understand technology and how to use it. In a lot of jobs people will have to know how to use technology. In recent years there have been multiple examples of the importance of computers in our everyday lives and even students’daily lives. With the rise of tech many people have the question; is this change really necessary?