BSU’s First Ever Spoken Word Event Launches!

BSUs First Ever Spoken Word Event Launches!

ADVISER’S NOTE: This event has been postponed until further notice. 

This year, on February 22nd, at 6:00pm, Enochs’ Black Student union will be hosting their first-ever annual Spoken Word Event, most likely in the library.

Juniors Lyric Lubin, BSU President, and Sezria Serrano, BSU’s 2nd Vice President, are taking initiative in planning this event, with BSU advisor Mrs. Garmon spearheading the logistics, and English teacher Mr. Campbell assisting with publicity and advertising.

“We’re going to be hosting a convention [where] we’ll be going to LA. Being able to host this Spoken Word Event would be able to pay for our students because each spot is roughly $200 per person,” Serrano explains in an interview. The students are prepping for the 50th annual UBSUC Leadership Convention, where other innovative student leaders can connect and experience black culture.

The Poetry Slam that took place in November was a big inspiration for BSU when planning this new program.

“Being able to create new traditions for our club is what initially motivated us to do the Spoken Word Event. Seeing how many people participated in the Poetry Slam had shown how much deeper poetry resonated within the students of Enochs,” she continues in an email.

However, some things are going to be a little different.

“All grades are accepted. Not just juniors like how the Poetry Slam was,” Serrano clarifies.

As for what kinds of spoken words BSU is looking for, they’ve requested that your poem be connected to Black Culture in some way.

“We are looking for people who will talk about either mental health, their experiences as black people, especially at Enochs, or just, being in a environment surrounded by black people. We really want everybody to join this,” Serrano says.

And join they will! If you’ve got a passion for poetry, public speaking, black empowerment, or wish to share your personal perspective and experience with the Enochs community, attending this new and unique event is a must.

“This would be a huge, huge benefactor to fundraising for our convention,” Serrano explains.

“On behalf of BSU, speak your truth. Do not worry [about] perfection, because this event is meant to be a safe space for any student who performs,” Serrano wrote.

Interested in finding out more? Check out the video interview featuring Serrano below, conducted by Anah Khan and edited by Trent Acedillo. You can also find it on Instagram @enochseagleye, and on our YouTube channel, The Enochs Eagle Eye.